A few days ago, after a long day sitting in my office (read: on my couch) working hard at my virtual internships, I was overcome with the laziness of not wanting to make myself dinner. Without hesitation, I logged onto OrderUp and began to browse.
OrderUp!? Why would I not order from Mr. Delivery!? Unfortunately, LionMenus (later OrderUp) was founded in State College before Mr. Delivery could claim the delivery territory as its own. As I pondered what my meal should be that night, feeling like I was cheating on Mr. Delivery, I began to wonder just how many food delivery services there are in this country. Naturally, I Googled it, only to find a map of the United States that looks like it has the chicken pox.
So there are a lot of options, which got me thinking: what motivates people to choose one company over another? Are there certain areas where certain companies are preferred? If so, why? Again I turned to Google for answers.
And I could not find anything useful. I even turned to Google Scholar, which when you search "food delivery" only provides articles about feeding infants. The dork in me was appalled that there are no consumer behavior studies when it comes to the food delivery industry, and proposes that something be done to change that. Perhaps we could conduct the first study, and use the information to make your Mr. Delivery experience even better!
Research is not necessarily my forte, but if I were to design such a study I would conduct a survey. I would ask close-ended demographic questions and general questions about the industry, as well as open-ended questions such as, "Why do you choose Mr. Delivery over other delivery services?"
No study is complete without a few predictions, and here are a few things that we think make us stand out from the crowd:
- Recognizable Brand! If there is anything that Mr. Delivery has that other services like OrderUp and GrubHub don't, it is an awesome logo in the form of The Chef.
- Dependable delivery- all orders arrive within 45-60 minutes, sometimes sooner if you are lucky!
- Ease of use. Nothing is worse than a confusing website, and Mr. Delivery's is extremely intuitive!
- The promotions and special offers that are so often available exclusively through ordering Mr. Delivery.
- Those hilarious T-Shirts with food puns on them, and other awesome merchandise that is available.
- The awesome people who work for this company.
- EVERYONE LOVES THE D!